Like the proverbial wine, we all wish to get better as we age. We want a stable career, a happy family, a sizeable investment and retirement fund, and of course, a robust and disease-free body. But as we struggle to keep up with our goals, the first thing that we neglect is health. Then it is only later in life when we get to realize that it should have been the priority all along, for us to be able to continue chasing our goals and dreams.
When stress and pressure hit us, it shows in the form of lacklustre skin, fine lines, and wrinkles. Every adult who has woken up from yet another sleepless night and saw his or her reflection in the mirror knows too well the dread that these signs bring. The memory of youthful, radiant skin would linger on the mind even as we try to hide and erase the signs.
Ageing is inevitable, yes, but there is still hope for every one of us. Skinboosters are types of dermal filler treatments that uses microinjections of hyaluronic acid (HA) into the skin. When injected into the dermis layer of the skin, the substances in skinboosters encourage collagen production and provide intensive skin hydration to the treated areas. Hyaluronic acid, the main component of most skinboosters, can hold up to 200 times its molecular weight in water, thus making it one of the best ingredients for skincare products such as moisturizers and serums. It is also known to improve the elasticity of the skin, speed up would healing, and minimize inflammation.
Skinboostersis a popular trend right now and if you are one of those people who are interested in availing the treatment, this article from Dr Edwin Lim, one of Singapore’s esteemed aesthetic treatments specialists, will give you all the information you need to know about skinboosters in Singapore.
Before, During, and After the Treatment
Skinboosters work well on almost all skin types. It can be applied on most areas of the skin, especially those that require hydration, such as the face, neck, and hands. Skinboosters improve the texture and appearance of the skin using these steps:
- The doctor will prescribe oral painkillers and apply a numbing cream to the area about half an hour before the treatment.
- There are two ways that are used to administer skinboosters in Singapore. The first one is the freehand method. This method allows accurate application of the product into the skin and the same time promotes lesser wastage of the product. It is also ideal to use on the delicate parts of the face. The second method is by using an injector gun. Unlike with freehand, the use of this tool can cause major blood vessels to rupture when placed directly on the skin. It may also cause other side effects like bruising.
You are likely to feel some mild discomfort during the procedure. Each injection of the product will feel almost like an ant bite but it is actually (more) tolerable.
- Small bumps similar to mosquito bites will appear over the treated area after the procedure. The doctor will advise you to massage a recovery cream into the bumps over the next few days. Needle marks and slight bruising may also be present but will be gone in less than a week’s interval.
If you want to learn more about the details of the treatment, please contact Edwin Lim.
Types of Skinboosters
There are different kinds of skinboosters in Singapore. Below are some of the most effective ones:
- Restylane. This contains the highest concentration of HA among other skinboosters. One session every month for three months are needed, with results lasting up to a year. This skinbooster works best for those who want deep hydration for a long duration of time.
- Teosyal Redensity 1. This skinbooster offers an additional whitening benefit from glutathione as well as proteins, vitamins, antioxidants, and amino acids for healthy skin. Like Restylane, it needs one session every month for three months, with results lasting about nine months to a year. This is recommended for people who wants fairer skin and faster results.
- Juvederm Volite. The main selling point of this skinbooster is the patented Vycross technology that offers long-lasting results with just a single injection.
- Rejuran Healer. You can benefit from the anti-ageing properties of this skinbooster. To achieve 12 to 18 months of excellent results, you need up to four sessions every month for four months. This is highly suitable for those people who suffer loss of skin elasticity and skin damage like open pores or acne scars.
It is important to note that results may vary depending on a person’s skin condition. You may send a personal message to Edwin Lim to know which skinbooster type is best for you.
Incorporate the Hyaluronic Acid Diet to your Diet for Healthy, Glowing Skin
Given the popularity of hyaluronic acid in everything skincare-related, you may think that hyaluronic acid is only found in bottled creams and serum. That is not accurate nor true as there are certain foods that are not just rich in hyaluronic acid but also help augment its production in the body. By incorporating HA into your health and daily lifestyle, you are doing your body a great favour.
Here are some examples:
- Root vegetables. Turnips, potatoes, onions, and carrots all contain a high amount of hyaluronic acid. Adding these vegetables to your diet will help your body create natural HA to keep your skin smooth and soft.
- Soy-based foods. The humble soy and its derivatives help increase the hyaluronic acid in the body. You can add tofu to salads and stir-fries, or eat them as a snack. Quick and easy, right?
- Bananas. These are known to be the only fruits that have a high HA content and they are also packed with other essential nutrients such as magnesium and potassium, which enables the body to produce more HA.
- Almonds. These nuts contain plenty of fibre, healthy fats, calcium, protein, potassium, and Vitamin E and to top it all, the hyaluronic acid content will surely deliver great benefits to your skin.
- Leafy green vegetables. Aside from removing toxins from your body and providing it with essential vitamins and minerals, leafy greens are an excellent source of natural HA. That is just another great reason to reach out to your greens more!
Always remember, a balanced lifestyle with regular exercise and proper diet will surely do wonders!
Edwin Lim Medical Aesthetic Clinic
#02-12/13 Changi City Point,
5 Changi Business Park Central 1,
+65 6904 2218